Thursday, September 8, 2011

Waiting for my Stephenie Meyer moment

So I consider myself an avid reader. I try to read a lot and a variety of books. Several years ago, I was more than a little skeptical to read Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It was a book about vampires but my sister was very adamant. About a chapter in, I was addicted and continued to enjoy the rest of the series. It also started me reading more young adult books.

But what really fascinated me, was Meyer's story. I couldn't imagine having a dream about a vampire and a girl and then writing a book from it. It's easy to think about now, because we know how wildly successful her books become. But I can't help but remember that when she wrote this, vampires weren't trendy and how crazy she must have felt.

My confession is that ever sense I've heard her story, it's made me more aware of dreams. I used to be an elementary student who wanted to write books but never really have a good idea. Lately I've had two reoccurring dreams. I can't help but wake up wondering if I've just had my Stephenie Meyer moment.

The first dream, I like to call the "thriller dream." Most people would probably call it a nightmare. It involves a friend and me and my friend has really bad taste in guys. She's dated this guy who turns out to be a stalker and I'm usually running around trying to lock doors and windows. Last time the guy's dad was involved and he was creepy too. I had this dream last week and I woke up pretty startled. But I promise within five seconds, I was thinking "I don't think I could write that." It doesn't seem quality at all, more like a Lifetime movie. So I have to look for another Stephenie Meyer moment.

The second reoccurring dream involves registration at high school. It sounds pretty normal but then it gets weird. The people involved spread across the spectrum of my life: high school, college, adulthood. It's just odd and I'm sure that one could mean something and I would hate to figure it out. Still, no Stephenie Meyer moment.

So my plan is to keep sleeping and looking for my Stephenie Meyer moment. . . .on a side note, I've now read the Sookie Stackhouse books and Meg Cabot's books about vampires. Oh, how times change.

1 comment:

  1. I'm waiting for mine too. (Incidentally, Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein from a dream.)

    ReplyDelete