Thursday, March 18, 2010

I remember. . .

. . .being at the State Fair and knowing so clearly that I wanted to be a teacher.
. . .telling my boss that I was giving my nine month notice and just wanting to be in a classroom. My sister made me my personalized teacher sign and I hung it in my cubicle. I helped fill in for many pregnant women's maternity leave during that time.
. . . going through the terror that was Region XI's alternative certification program. Not sleeping. . .running around. . .that long, long online class. It was a nightmare.
. . .passing my Social Studies 4-8 test. Being on the phone with Snae and being so surprised that it said "Pass" that Snae couldn't tell what had happened. Surprise rarely happens when you're a habitual planner.
. . .being a "stupid girl" and getting distracted. There goes a school year. No regrets.
. . .the confusion. I had no idea what my next step would be. The teaching idea seemed far off. Mom and dad sat in my living room and asked me to give it a try. I said yes feeling so unsure.
. . .starting student teaching. Before school duty. . .after school choir. . .observations. . .learning so much. . .loving 100 6th graders. . .don't forget the failures too. . .all necessary. I learned that I was born to be a teacher. . .at least until I can work for National Parks at Harry Truman's house. :)
. . . last day student teaching . . .after a brief meeting with the principal, and a scribble of "CVasquez", I was recommended for certification. Survival
. . . taking another test. New test strategy, whenever I start feeling completely distracted, I sing "That's Just the Way We Roll." until I'm ready to focus. By the way, "Pass!"
. . .subbing and being scared that loving teaching was a fluke reserved for 6th graders at a particular school. After being so sure of older kids, I exclusively taught Kindergarten and First Grade the first three weeks. Loved all the different experiences. Now when people ask what I want to teach, I smile and say only God can choose.
. . .on a fluke of checking online, I saw my certificate. Mom and dad in the living room and Snae in Florida. Papi said "We finally jumped through all the hoops."
. . .calling Snae in Florida and telling her the celebration was yet to come. Signing up to take my EC-6 test. Let's open the door for all those fun grades.

The future dreams. . .
. . .passing the EC-6 test.
. . .signing a teaching contract.
. . .not sleeping before the first day of school.
. . .not sleeping the first year.

To be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment